Protecting rebloomers

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Protecting rebloomers
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 19:24:33 -0600 (MDT)

At 04:14 PM 10/13/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Dorothy, I've got a rebloomer that has a couple of healthy fans
>that look as if they are going to produce bloomstalks. Is there any
>way that I could persuade the fans to postpone blooming until next
>year? Would cutting the fans to 6" help? etc.

I don't  know of anything that would help, except covering the thing with a
garbage can or some other good protection.  I can't imagine that cutting
the plant back would do anything useful--but I really do not know a lot
about rebloomers--or have much experience with them.  I'd say cover it,
hope for warm wx., and be sure to cut off the frozen bloomstalks at ground
level and disinfect when you run out of luck.
Amazing that you've had no freezes yet!

Dorothy Fingerhood
daf10@cornell.edu
(Newfield, NY)