Re: Protecting rebloomers

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Protecting rebloomers
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 00:10:53 -0600 (MDT)

>Dorothy, I've got a rebloomer that has a couple of healthy fans
>that look as if they are going to produce bloomstalks. Is there any
>way that I could persuade the fans to postpone blooming until next

Short of digging up the plants, potting them, and putting them in a warm
location for the winter...unfortunately no.  BTW, I have done this and
the iris will bloom.  Looks great on the Dining room table for
Thanksgiving or Christmas.

In my experience if a bud has formed, and you get a freeze, the bud will
be killed AND in your climate, from what I hear, the bud/stalk should be
cut out to avoid rot.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California