RE: Tender growth vs cold......

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: Tender growth vs cold......
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <Koekkoek@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 08:17:12 -0600 (MDT)

You have lots of good advice on this already, and I only can second
what was said.  However, to the "you might want to mulch" I would add
an "I encourage you to mulch" all these new (this summer) plants.
But do wait until the ground freezes OR if you have a snow coming
before that time get the mulch on before the snow.  The snow itself
is the best mulch, but it doesn't always stay around, and the
rhizomes need to be protected from a freeze-thaw-freeze cycle in the
winter.  That's a sure invitation to rot.  A little frost won't get
those new growth leaves, either.  Iris are tougher than that.   Happy

Arnold Koekkoek
NW Iowa Zone 4 (where we saw our first snow flurries yesterday and
it's turned suddenly much colder--too much like winter's around the

Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
Sioux Center, IA 51250