Re: Where is everybody?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Where is everybody?
  • From: Tom Tadfor Little <telp@rt66.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 09:16:47 -0600 (MDT)

John contributes

>Here are a couple of things that you can do when you suspect something
>is wrong that will have no impact on anyone but you.

<snip several good suggestions>

>If you really want to do something you could contact rt66 support
>but that is probably better left to Tom Little, the list owner. He
>probably knows about the problem and is getting it taken care of anyway.

Right. And I can probably tell you right away whether the listserver is
processing mail, since I am a subscriber and the support people aren't.

You can also send private email to anyone else on the list and ask them if
they've been getting messages.

But here's my recommendation for the BEST thing to do if it looks like the
listserver is down: Go work in your garden for a day or two and forget
about it. When you come back everything will be fine. Try it. It works.

Every mailing list I've ever subscribed to has occasional interruptions of
service. Usually, no messages are lost, they're just queued up until the
software is able to handle them again. Such problems always pass in a day
or two. Whether or not the subscribers get agitated about it has absolutely
no effect.

Cheers, Tom.