RE: Tender growth vs cold......

IKern@aol.com wrote:
> Sorry for the double posting. I was alarmed when I did not find my
> posting so I stupidly forwarded another.  Please, please tonight it is
> supposed to get down to the mid 30's and tomorrow the lower 30's.
> Cover, no cover?  HELP!
> Iris in Milw where it was 74 at 3am and is 44 at 10pm.

And Marte answered:

Anyway, I'm not planning on covering or mulching unless someone more
experienced on the List shouts at me! If you're worried that your
newbies will suffer a set-back, you could certainly mulch the beds with
straw or pine needles or dry leaves, whatever you have. Just be sure to
get that cleaned out before the temps start really warming up in the
spring or you may have a lot of rot &/or borers to contend with.

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado

***I concur, Marte!

Barb in Santa Fe, stuck inside with laryngitis, but at least I can type.