Re: Easy Street

Gardenhous@aol.com wrote:
> I hear you all talking about adding new beds and I have to wonder if
> these hve been on your properties forever and weedless waiting to be
> planted in or if you are creating them.  I am breaking my back tilling
> and eradicating little rocks, hauling dirt and building bed walls.
> Oh, I know where to find all those rocks to hold down heaving rhizomes
> now.  So is it just me or is there an easier way?

Nope. The new long skinny bed I installed this year was initially
rototilled by my husband after I whined a lot. (Our ancient tiller is
impossible for me to start or run -- it's nearly the size of a VW &
tosses me around as if it were a bucking bronco, & that's only if I can
get the darn engine to fire.) Thereafter it was just me, grubbing out
rocks (*boulders*) & dragging RR ties into place, hauling dirt &
compost, etc. Who needs a gym when we can plant iris?

> Kids here are not into manual labor they are all affluent or have
> better job offers.

It helps if you catch & train them before they're old enough to drive.
I've scrounged help from 11 to 14 year-olds for snow-shoveling &
weed-whacking & the like. It also helps if you pay them in soda pop,
cookies & cash, not checks -- they love having the cash. I further
entice them by letting them play computer games AFTER they finish up the
manual labor. By 14-15 they start drifting away to pursuits they
find more interested than helping some crazy lady work outdoors.

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado -- gorgeous day here,
snow all melted (fell Sat. night), about 65F, will be out there soon!