Re: HYB: wide or interspecies crosses

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: wide or interspecies crosses
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:27:15 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Chad Schroter wrote:

>         Have seen some interesting messages referring to interspecies cross's,
> ones I think I remember were Louisiana Tet. by Spuria and Louisiana Tet. by I.
> versicolor. I have read about some in WOI specifically involving I. pallida, I.
> tectorum, I. japonica, i.e. the evansias. How can I predict what will "take" as
> some of these crosses involve some strange Chromosome counts (28 x 30) etc. I
> have most types of Iris including some Tet. Louisiana's and several species iris
> and would like to play around but don't know what "works". It would be more fun
> if the offspring had some chance of being fertile instead of mules. Louisiana x
> Spuria sounds pretty WIDE to me, like PCI by Siberian (CalSibe ?). Any fun
> suggestions out there ?
>
>         Chad Schroter in Los Gatos CA Zone 9b

	Chad and others:

	From Lorena Reid's price list, these are the interspecies crosses
she has been making.

	Sino-Siberians    Himalayan sibes X PCN

	Cal-Sibes         Above hybrid crossed with PCN

	Sibtosa		  Siberian X setosa

	Versi-laev        Versicolor x laevigata

	As far as I know, there has not been a 'combining form' to produce
a name for the spuria x la or for the versicolor x la cross that produced
LITTLE CAILLET.  Sounds Spanish but how about La-spu and La-versi.  It may
also be that the first part of the name may be the pod parent, but I do
not know.

	I have been testing all of the above types from Reid and
Mertzweiller/Caillet, and all have grown well except the Sinos, which have
all died.  The sibtosas grow like kudzu.

	Shafer/Sacks have introduced versicolor hybrids, but I do not know
what the other parent is, nor do I know the make-up of MYSTERIOUS MONIQUE,
which was quite the rage earlier this year on Iris-l.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8