Re: Easy Street

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Easy Street
  • From: Donald Mosser <dmosser@ibm.net>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:39:16 -0600 (MDT)

At 07:31 AM 10/14/97 -0600, Doreen wrote:
>I hear you all talking about adding new beds and I have to wonder if   these
>hve been on your properties forever and weedless waiting to be planted in or
>if you are creating them.  I am breaking my back tilling and eradicating
> little rocks, hauling dirt and building bed walls.  Oh, I know where to find
>all those rocks to hold down heaving rhizomes now.  So is it just me or is
>there an easier way?

Yes, if you are independently wealthy and can afford to hire professional
landscapers.:)  Or you could just buy a new home which previously belonged
to a gardening nut. However, die-hard gardeners are known to live very long
lives and you could be waiting a while for a vacancy. (I guess that's why
they call them die-hards.:)

Seriously, building new beds is hard work.  I started building a new one
this past weekend and I was on Nuprin pain reliever by Saturday night.  I
was digging this new flower bed with a shovel and it was pure clay (or was
it really concrete?).  I've resolved to take it more slowly and borrow my
Dad's Snapper tiller to finish things off (this tiller cuts through clay
like hot butter and is so easy to control - no bucking bronco).   Also I
plan on removing some of the clay and bringing in a few loads of well
rotted horse manure.  I believe this flower bed has turned into a
fall/early winter project.

>Kids here are not into manual labor they are all affluent or have better job

I'm lucky, my daughter is still 4 years old. I've already started her
gardening training.  She has her very own raised bed of reblooming TB's and
she loves to help water (I think garden hoses were made for kids :).  She
also helped me plant daylilies this weekend.  She likes hummingbirds,
butterflies, and playing with worms in the compost pile.  She just doesn't
know, yet, what a charmed life she leads. :)
Oh, to be a child again!

Donald Mosser

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
USDA Zone 7b-8