Re: Easy Street

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Easy Street
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 21:27:49 -0600 (MDT)

Gardenhous@aol.com wrote:

> I hear you all talking about adding new beds and I have to wonder if   these
> hve been on your properties forever and weedless waiting to be planted in or
> if you are creating them.  I am breaking my back tilling and eradicating
>  little rocks, hauling dirt and building bed walls.  Oh, I know where to find
> all those rocks to hold down heaving rhizomes now.  So is it just me or is
> there an easier way?
>
> Kids here are not into manual labor they are all affluent or have better job
> offers.
>
> Doreen McCabe
> West of Boston   with creaky back and dirty hands

Ah, Doreen, there is an easier way, and I keep waiting for Ed McMahon to
arrive on my door step and show it to me. When that happens, just after
locating and buying a 1938 Packard convertible sedan, I will purchase a
nearby 5-acre site overlooking the Potomac and engage the requisite
number of laborers to convert a third of it into iris gardens. Until
then, however, I will continue to apply MY creaky back and dirty hands
to the task of tilling, eradicating little rocks, hauling dirt and
building bed walls, watching the affluent neighborhood kids strolling by
on their way to soccer practice, and communing with my Irish ancestors
who had to do the same thing just for potatoes and no irises. Ain't life
grand?

jgcrump@erols.com