Re: HYB: wide or interspecies crosses

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: wide or interspecies crosses
  • From: Irisborer@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 03:14:42 -0600 (MDT)

>	I have been testing all of the above types from Reid and
>Mertzweiller/Caillet, and all have grown well except the Sinos, which have
>all died.  The sibtosas grow like kudzu.

Those of us who went to the International Japanese Iris Symposium this past
weekend had the great pleasure of hearing Tony Huber from Quebec speak.  Tony
is working with all kinds of exotic crosses and has coined a boatload of
names to account for them.  I don't have my paperwork in front of me, but
from memory, we saw:

Versata (versicolor x ensata)
biversata (versicolor x ensata x versicolor )  <---don't quote me -
reensata (?)
Versi-Versa (")

And so on.  The slides were breathtaking!  WAIT till the rest of you folks
see what's going on in Quebec!  Tony also has some named varieties using some
of these exotic crosses... the first I ever saw was ENFANT PRODIGIE (which is
beautiful when pronounced with his accent... a horror when Kathyguest tries)
at the York convention and I was absolutely head over heels in love!  Took me
three years before I could track down a piece for sale...

He's also introduced a slew of others... and he has a passal more on the way.
 Monsieur Huber donated each and every one of these irises to our auction!

Kathy Guest - basking in the afterglow
(or is that aftermath?)