Re: Easy Street

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Easy Street
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 06:48:46 -0600 (MDT)

In a message dated 97-10-14 23:27:19 EDT, Doreen writes:

<< >  little rocks, hauling dirt and building bed walls.  Oh, I know where to
find
 > all those rocks to hold down heaving rhizomes now.  So is it just me or is
 > there an easier way? >>

I thought I'd make a comment here because I also live in the New England
(just over the line in N.Y.) paradise of rocks and thin soil.

What you are doing is probably the fastest and best way allowing for
occasional diabilities.  What I do is because I am getting older and really
wish for less physical labor and a glorious result just the same.

My best way to achieve more planting space is to extend existing beds (do
away with more lawn).  This can be done with the lawn lover in the family
hardly noticing what has happened.

My best method for new beds is to go over existing terrain with a thick layer
of newspaper and cover the paper with all garden refuse for one entire
season.  Allow this to winter over adding all leaves you can rake up or
collect in your neighborhood.  The debris layer can be several feet high as a
New England winter will reduce it to ground level by spring.  In spring (or
in previous fall if you have time) draw lines desired for the bed and cut an
edge to define it.

Plant right through the accumlated compost removing any rock you encounter.
 Subterranean rock should be ignored as not existing unless the trowel
strikes it.
This undergound rock actually holds water around the plants and if you can
find space to plant w/o removal, so much the easier.  When through planting
if you do not like the untidy look of the surface,  mulch all with wood chips
and a few handfuls of 5-10-5.

I have made nearly all of my garden this way with the exception of that which
was prepared with a backhoe. We have some really large rocks!

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, N.Y. - zone 4 - gloomy day