Re: HYB: wide or interspecies crosses

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: wide or interspecies crosses
  • From: Irisquilt@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 07:36:12 -0600 (MDT)

I don't think interspecie crosses give lots of fertile things but if you get
a breakthrough that might be more exciting than a 100 common ones.  Jill
Copeland has "Pixie Won" a cross between I. pseudacorus X I. ensata.  A
beauty.  We have just heard Tony Huber, Quebec speaking of his 13 yrs.
project and he has made large strides and has some very nice things and his
newer unnamed seedlings sold well at the JI Symposium and I suppose many felt
they could continue from there thus saving a few steps.  I had heard him a
couple years ago at the Specie Symposium- more progress has been made.  I
imagine he feels more rewarded than with just another TB cross, or Siberian
cross etc.  What seems to be need is someone to do chromosome counts so one
can see what really happened.  Anna Mae Miller, Kalamazoo, MI zone 5