Re: Easy Street ?

	Claire P. wrote:

>Plant right through the accumlated compost removing any rock you encounter.
> Subterranean rock should be ignored as not existing unless the trowel
>strikes it.

	Rocks and tree roots (only come in large here) haunt me
	when preparing new beds. I also wouldn't attempt to move some of the
	boulders I encounter.

>This undergound rock actually holds water around the plants and if you can
>find space to plant w/o removal, so much the easier.

	Yesterday, while planting bulbs, I removed a huge rock near the
	surface while naturalizing narcissi. It was almost too big for
	my husband to use in his free-standing stone walls. I agree that
	rocks do help with water retention...

>My best method for new beds is to go over existing terrain with a thick
>layer of newspaper and cover the paper with all garden refuse for one entire
>season.  Allow this to winter over adding all leaves you can rake up or
>collect in your neighborhood.  The debris layer can be several feet high as
>a New England winter will reduce it to ground level by spring.  In spring
>(or in previous fall if you have time) draw lines desired for the bed and
>cut an edge to define it.

	This sounds too good to be true *but* I will try it next year. :)

	We have old carpeting on one of our new beds and the sod is gone
	and the ground is softer for digging....it has lain there for over
	2 months and gives new meaning to landscaping as it decorates our
	front lawn. Assuming the swelling in my left hand goes down, I will
	be out there this afternoon beginning the digging and dreading the
	rocks and tree roots...:( This perennial bed is for next year and
	probably won't have any irises....maybe.

Ellen Gallagher  / e_galla@moose.ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA   /    Zone 3
Siberian iris robin    /  sibrob@ncia.net