Re: JI GIG

Dear Kathy,

May I Have permission to put this article into the GPIS newsletter.  This
is our club publication for the Greater Portland Iris Society.

Please say yes, as I am sure you well know how hard it is to get articles
from your local members expecially when they are as busy as Terry & Chad.

Thanks

Will
William Plotner
WILDWOOD GARDENS
gardens@molalla.net
P.O. Box 250
Molalla, Oregon 97038-0250

----------
> [...]
all
> around organizer, kept us moving and grooving.  And those are just the
e-mail
> folks.
>
> The day was perfect from frontside to backside:  After I welcomed folks
and
> Cathy Boyko welcomed them on behalf of Canada and the CIS, we launched
into
> our program... Terry Aitken compared goals in daylily and orchid
hybridizing
> to JI goals.... and showed us a TDF (to die for) slide of variegated
foliage
> with a red base.... and took our imaginations to the place where foliage
is
> tri-colored and the flowers are just a bonus.  Tony Huber showed us the
> future (Tomorrowland?  Fantasyland?) with his interspecies crosses and
back
> crosses with sensuous French names (Enfant Prodigie, Nouvelle Age, Belle
> Promesse), folks... this is NOT Kansas anymore.
>
> Lunch was gourmet in the RBG private dining room with slides of futures.
>
> Chad Harris took over after lunch.  Chad is young and idealistic - a good
> thing for us.  He begins evaluating his seedlings before they ever think
of
> flowering and starts the culling at the same time.  In his quest for
extended
> bloom, he is looking for early and repeat bloom, for sequential bloom and
> extraordinary branching.  John Coble finished up with his program on
> recessive whites and hidden genes and talked about Bob "looking under
skirts
> for the hidden blue gene", which cracked us all up - but what he meant
was
> that by looking at the color layer on the BACKside of an ensata flower,
you
> can predict what color background might be involved.
>
> The day was full of that sort of thing.  A GOOD group ... lots of fun and
> camaraderie.  Dorothy Stahly read a disgusting poem that had us
hysterical
> before we even started... then she tried to get everyone to take off
their
> shirts (and by the look of sheer horror on Hal Stahly's face, he wasn't
at
> all sure she wasn't going to do it!).
>
> Peter Weixlmann ran the auction as he always does... flawlessly and like
> stand-up routine.  We had over 60 different plants donated - from the
very
> new to seedlings... plus Claire Honkanen donated a shell ornament
(limited
> edition), Jill Copeland donated a case of homemade jam, we auctioned some
> original artwork by John Coble and we all had a wonderful time!
>
> After the ball, we went back to the hotel... where Kathyguest called
ahead
> for dinner reservations.  The difference between New York and Canada?
Well,
> when I  called the restaurant manager and told him reservations for 35 in
1/2
> hour.... separate checks... he not only didn't come unglued, he THANKED
me
> for our business!
>
> Sunday morning we had an excellent judges training session by John
Coble...