Re: Easy Street teeth and worms

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Easy Street teeth and worms
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:10:17 -0600 (MDT)

>I don't know what burying a muck bucket means but
>would ask
>why you would need to remove small rock.  For general garden purposes small
>pieces of rock and gravel can be left in the planting soil.

Claire, thank you for the further tips on turning the compost heap into the
garden bed. I can't wait to get started.

The muck buckets are a bit of a cracked experiment. I'm trying to grow LAs
in the best sun left in my yard, which is, unfortunately, down the side of
a small hill. (I've already used up all the sunny low spots.) So I got
these large Rubbermaid muck buckets ($8 at Home Depot), almost a yard
across and not quite two feet deep. My soil on this hill was entirely too
rocky for LAs, and that is why I went to so much trouble to oust the
little, big and gigantic rocks which had been happily residing there. (I
also uprooted some utterly gorgeous tomato vines a good three weeks before
it was socially acceptable to do so, so don't tell anyone.)

I consider the muck buckets merely a smaller version of the famous buried
kiddy pool, and so have high hopes for my new mini containerized hillside
boglets. A few ice pick holes in the bottoms allow drainage, but not so
much I'll have to run my hose every day next summer to keep the LAs awake.

An additional attraction of the muck buckets is their sturdy nylon rope
handles, which I have hidden under piles of pine needles. Should the
planting not work out, I and a helper should be able to haul up hard on
those handles and unearth entire clumps at once. I'm also hoping the
eventually necessary clump divisions will be simplified by containing each
clump inside one bucket - no looking for BOB WARD only to find he's
wandered four feet to swipe nitrogen from BRYCE LEIGH.

celia
storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock