Re: art of axes & picks

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: art of axes & picks
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:05:43 -0600 (MDT)

Linda Mann wrote:

> Celia - there is an art to using axes and picks so that you don't get
> jarred that way . . . I learned a modification of this for using a garden hoe, back when I was growing tobacco. . .  you can kill yourself in a hurry
> hacking at the ground in a half acre, but with a good 'soft' rhythm, all
> you get is blisters.

Linda -- You would have done very well in Hungary.  The Hungarian woman
who farms the plot next to my seedling garden said to me one day, while
she was wielding her hoe, "Az asszony aki nem kopal nem eszik." ("The
woman who doesn't hoe doesn't eat.") Obviously, the saying predates
women's lib.

jgcrump@erols.com