RE: Higher elevations

Sheryl asked:
----------
I'm curious as to what irises are successful at higher elevations -
7,000, 8,000, 9,000. Any ideas?

Sheryl in Delta Co 5,100 ft.

Hi, Sheryl--Marte will probably answer, too, so we'll see how we compare.  I'm
gardening at 7,000 feet, give or take a few hundred, and what does well here
is any of the bearded iris, from the dwarfs on up to the TBs and the
Arilbreds...  Sometimes the MDBs get clobbered by late frosts (then again, so
do the other classes), and rebloomers can be really iffy, but most years,
Something blooms.  I would guess many of the usual garden varieties would grow
and bloom at higher elevations, too.  If they don't, then the species I.
missouriensis certainly does; you can find it blooming all over the high
mountain meadows in the summer.  I have stolen seed from some and am growing a
few in my garden.

Barb in Santa Fe, zone 5