Re: art of axes & picks

J. Griffin Crump wrote:

> Linda Mann wrote:
> >

> > Celia - there is an art to using axes and picks so that you don't get
> > jarred that way . . . I learned a modification of this for using a garden hoe, back when I was growing tobacco. . .  you can kill yourself in a hurry
> > hacking at the ground in a half acre, but with a good 'soft' rhythm, all
> > you get is blisters.
>
> Linda -- You would have done very well in Hungary.  The Hungarian woman
> who farms the plot next to my seedling garden said to me one day, while
> she was wielding her hoe, "Az asszony aki nem kopal nem eszik." ("The
> woman who doesn't hoe doesn't eat.") Obviously, the saying predates
> women's lib.
>
> Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA
> jgcrump@erols.com

Actually Griff--
Since she isn't waiting for some strong male person to do it for her,
she's as liberated as can be.  others simply bat their eyelashes, say
things like "Oh, silly me," and hand over the hoe.  there are times when
I wish I had long eyelashes.
Rima  terra@catskill.net
upstate ny   zone 4