RE: Judges' training, etc.

	Maureen Mark wrote:

>Ian, we need to talk about your views on judges training.  Judging iris
>is not unlike any other horticultural or arts judging.  Judges are
>individuals and have biases.  As you could not stay for the whole
>session, perhaps you did not come away with the message the rest of us
>did - garden judging is our raison-d'etre.

	Not Ian here but I share some of his stated views. First off, I
	am 'taking' Judges' Training to learn more about irises...same
	reason I have the Judge's Handbook. I sat in on training at the
	MASS Medley last June and got no credit since I hadn't applied to
	my Region and filled out an application, etc. It seemed logical
	to get credit this time...I probably will never vote a ballot
	except the Siberian and maybe species since I don't grow enough
	to make an informed decision on any other class. Altho' my medians
	are fast outspacing my beardless....(shhh).

	I also noted  that some healthy Japanese irises could have
	different-colored blooms than the registration papers.

	It seems to this grower of only 20 JIs (so far) that the problem
	is with the way it was registered. Yes or no? And why would someone
	select an odd-colored flower to bring to the show in the first
	place? Irregardless, the best flower should get the blue ribbon.

	That is what is almost refreshing in newbies, they are not tied into
	the rules, etc. and see an AIS show as being an event where the
	best entrant does well and even wins. Of course, I just turned
	away at the TBs at the show I attended in June - too much, too
	garish. OK, that is my opinion, guys. :-)) I still would like to
	see the AIS Judging 'system' done differently....only folks that
	grow a fair number of Siberians could judge them, etc. This means
	more than 40 or so....just thinking out loud.

	I gained courage this AM after I wrote a message critical of the
	AKC on one of my dog lists...amazing how that happens. :))

	Cheers on a very cold morning in the White Mountains but loving it,

	          		Ellen Gallagher / e_galla@moose.ncia.net
        \\  ~ ~  //		  (artwork courtesy of John Jones :))
         (  @ @  )