RE: Judges' training, etc.

Okay, let me try clarify the issue here.  John, if you're reading the
list, please speak up.

John was speaking about judging on the show bench and the fact that some
JIs throw out blossoms that are different.  The point he was trying to
make was that the judge has to be aware that this is a characteristic of
the cultivar when judging a show.  The stalk will get a blue ribbon if
it is grown perfectly for that particular cultivar.  If the cultivar
normally has no branches and only two buds and the stalk displays this
with a good bloom, it will get a blue ribbon.  However, if the stalk
shows only two buds when it is known to have five, points will be
deducted, and it is unlikely to get a blue ribbon.

I have seen exhibits disqualified as the judge determined it was not the
right cultivar.  This would be easy to do.  When none of the judges are
familiar with the cultivar, they may refer to the check lists.  The
check lists may not say that pattern variations occur regularly.  This
is why it is important for judges to be familiar with the growing
patterns of as many cultivars as possible - either through growing them
or regular visits to other gardens.

So, Ellen, the best flower does get the blue ribbon.

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada