Re: CULT: onions as companion plants?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: onions as companion plants?
  • From: rimat <terra@catskill.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:53:36 -0600 (MDT)

Curt Marble wrote:

> Rima wrote:
>
> >I put hard-necked garlic cloves in this fall.  so far only one has been
> >dug up.  I thought the samll would keep the critters away.  altho I did
> >notice, that the dug-up clove had nary a tooth mark in it. maybe I'll
> >have a crop next July.  the people at the second largest garlic festival
> >in the USA said it would work.
>
> Aren't you worried about pesticide uptake...or do you not spray your irises?
>
> ---------
> Kathy Marble <cmarble@tiac.net>
> Harvard, MA
> zone 5

Hi kathy--

I've never had borers in the tb garden, so I've never sprayed.  Also, I
interplant garlic with my spring bulbs--especially the tulips, so that
if I have to spray the irises, I still have a batch of garlic growing
that I can eat.  I never spray the spring bulbs.  the garlic (I
think)and the daffies(I'm sure) seem to keep the critters away and I've
never had insect pests on them.  Here and there where I've had old
tulips planted without these two I lose them to the deer.  Who knows, I
might lose this new bed as well although it's fairly close to the house.
Rima  terra@catskill.net
upstate ny  zone 4