Re: Judges' training, etc.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Judges' training, etc.
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 19:47:52 -0600 (MDT)

In a message dated 97-10-17 16:54:19 EDT, Ellen writes:

<< 	That is what is almost refreshing in newbies, they are not tied into
 	the rules, etc. and see an AIS show as being an event where the
 	best entrant does well and even wins. Of course, I just turned
 	away at the TBs at the show I attended in June - too much, too
 	garish. OK, that is my opinion, guys. :-)) I still would like to
 	see the AIS Judging 'system' done differently....only folks that
 	grow a fair number of Siberians could judge them, etc. This means
 	more than 40 or so....just thinking out loud. >>

One of the reasons I do not belong to a general garden club is that most them
were for years part of Federated Garden Clubs or something close to that.
 This judging thing fostered a depressing competition.

Their judging was mostly, I think, arrangements.  A judges handbook stunned
me.  There are all sorts of points, take aways, put backs, etc. Like
politics!
The system of training and approving judges was complicated and contained a
status element. It seemed when you produced an entry and were subjected to
 this judging system you were as far from gardening as a gardener could get.

They still have a "show" as part of the New England Flower Show in March each
year.  I stroll through dragging the droll Ed who refers to it as the comedy
section.  Other parts of this show are also judged, the professional
displays, garden club efforts, etc.  Reading the commentary here finds me
dissenting constantly, who is to judge, who is the absolutely fair arbiter?

While everyone who loves a show can jump all over me now, I agree with Ian.
 Irises are a garden joy, gardening is my passion but shows and judging seem
to detract from that pleasure.  I am ducking now!

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, N.Y. - zone 4 - in the mountains looking for my hard hat.