Re: Judges' training, etc.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Judges' training, etc.
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 22:27:07 -0600 (MDT)

ECPep@aol.com wrote:
> [Many valid comments clipped]  Reading the commentary here finds me
> dissenting constantly, who is to judge, who is the absolutely fair arbiter?

No one, of course. If you set impossible standards, no one will meet

> While everyone who loves a show can jump all over me now, I agree with Ian.
>  Irises are a garden joy, gardening is my passion but shows and judging seem
> to detract from that pleasure.  I am ducking now!

I am a new (~3-year) judge who has little interest in show judging (in
one sense). Garden judging is what I really wanted to do (and most enjoy

But shows are necessary to attract and educate the public.

Judging helps shows in two ways: Less importantly, it shows (those who
care) what good cultivation and good grooming are. More importantly, it
allows prizes to be awarded, greatly increasing the incentive (for many)
to take the best stalks from from their beds and to do the work to get
them onto the show bench in good shape.

If the judging of shows bothers you, enter in the exhibition-only area.

If it's the way shows are judged, and not just the fact that they are,
become a judge and help to ensure that it's done right.

We need all the help we can get.

-Gerry, looking forward to the Region 15 Fall Meeting tomorrow.
gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles
President of San Fernando Valley Iris Society