Re: AIS: Judging ...was JI Symposium - Stop burning the red-heads.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: AIS: Judging ...was JI Symposium - Stop burning the red-heads.
  • From: Irisborer@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 03:02:21 -0600 (MDT)

>The above statement is not quite true.  You should be evaluating the
>EXHIBITOR and how well they grew the iris and how well the specimen was
>prepared for show entry. :-)
Verily I say unto you.... this is SO true!  The iris is only as perfect (in a
show kinda way) as the exhibitor allows it to be... by choosing the right
specimen, grooming it carefully, and so on.   And although taking the prize
can be 90% luck.... as my friend says, "the luckiest people are the ones who
work the hardest".

And the OTHER truism from Gary (??), is that shows are for the PUBLIC... an
elaborate marketing tool.  Most of us would rather see the iris in our
gardens than all naked up there in a bottle.... BUT, since the public won't
necessarily come to your garden, you have to bring the garden to them... and
in the best light, lure the receptive into the fold.

And since, because of the nature of judging, you will surely mystify folks as
to why iris DISCO BOB won over the prettier DISCO BETTY LOU... our local club
started a new gig last year - we run a 'mock show' at the same time as the
real life show... where one of our judges does his judging out loud so that
people can learn what exactly we're doing up there.  It was fun and the folks
loved it.

E. Aurora, NY