Re: AIS: Judging ...was JI Symposium - Stop burning the red-heads.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: AIS: Judging ...was JI Symposium - Stop burning the red-heads.
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 07:09:10 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:

> Irisborer@AOL.COM wrote:
> > On the show bench...
>   Remember, you're not judging the plant for appeal, but how
> > it matches the standard set by the plant itself.
> The above statement is not quite true.  You should be evaluating the
> EXHIBITOR and how well they grew the iris and how well the specimen was
> prepared for show entry. :-)
> Rick Tasco
> Superstition Iris Gardens
> Central California........involved in somewhat of a heatwave. 88F today.
> Zone 8
	I think it is a combination of both of the above in most cases.  I
know of a highly rated 'show' iris that in this climate has a tendency to
lean out from the clump and to open a branch bud before it opens a
terminal.  In other climates it may not exhibit these traits, but there is
nothing the exhibitor can do to make this iris open its terminal first and
to stand up straight.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8