LA: BRYCE LEIGH (was Easy Street teeth and worms)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: LA: BRYCE LEIGH (was Easy Street teeth and worms)
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 10:15:26 -0600 (MDT)

>Is BRYCE LEIGH a Louisiana?  He is growing out there in Santa's workshop (my
>garden)<>snip> I have him growing with
>some siberians.  I have no recollection from whence he came!

Claire, hi! Len Michel sent BL my way as an extra in an order of some LAs.
It was hybridized by a former Little Rockian, Frank Chowning. Here's the
R&L descrip:

BRYCE LEIGH (Frank Chowning r. 73) LA 30" , M. Pale lavender self, narrow
gold line signal bordered with narrow maroon line.

I've only had BL since August, but it's established quickly and is going
great guns, which I expected. Unfortunately another local cultivar, Henry
Rowlan's SEA WISP, seems to be languishing. But I'm learning not to pay too
much attention to how LAs look for the first four months or so. Even when
the original rhizome doesn't make it, its barely visible offsets still
might. (They also might not. I waited patiently for two months for a
damaged start of GOOD DOCTOR to rise from the dead, and when finally I felt
around for it in the pot, found nothing but goo.)

I laughed over your wondering where you acquired BL and how it found his
way into Santa's workshop. Mom and I are notorious for bringing home starts
of this or that and immediately forgetting which or what. Just yesterday
she gave me some "hellebore" accompanied by a lovely explanation of its
cultural needs. She'd gone to some trouble to get me a printed copy of care
requirements, knowing how easily such details slip through my mental
sieve.When I opened the sack, there was a label in there explaining how to
take care of my new tuberose.

celia
storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock