Judging

I would like to thank those that have tried to explain the judging
process.  The comments were most interesting, particularly those of
Anner and Kathy.  I do appreciate the range of opinions.  I agree with
most of Anner's points, however, I am stilled concerned about the
reference to a "sport".  The example John Coble used was of a plant that
occassionally gave quite different blooms, not of a plant that
"switched" to a new form (re Clarence's example) or of a plant whose
seedlings were quite different.  In my view, this should have been
included in the registration as a fully legitimate alternative form.

To repeat my point more simply; the AIS judging process appears to have
a lot of intellectual flaws which will inevitably result in
inconsistencies.  An effort should be made to improve the process in
order to reduce the level of "opinion" and thereby increase the
predictability of the results.  I would like to see a comparison of the
results of three judges against those from three people selected from
the uninformed (= non-gardeners).  Would there be a difference and, if
so, why?

Ian, who remains committed to not being a judge and loving all his
irises equally!