Re: I missouriensis seeds

People: I sent this response to Diana Friday night thinking it was going
to the List as a whole -- it was written in that mode but it went to her
directly as a "Re" to her mail, which I stupidly had not realized was
sent directly to me. I'm sending this copy to the List now so that any
others who would like I. missouriensis seed will know to contact me. MH

Diana & All:

This is true serendipity -- I made a detour on my way back home from
Denver today to check out a back road where I remembered lots of I.
missouriensis blooming last June & behold! Five giant steps from where I
parked my truck this p. m. & I found a dozen pods just waiting for me.

Couldn't believe it -- they were dry & popped open but still contained
lots of nice, ripe black seeds. I collected 260 of same -- how many
would you like? Any other takers? I'm happy to share the bounty, really.

It is funny -- I'd never knowingly *seen* an iris seed pod until "pod
people" appeared on 2 of my new SDBs this past June (which I cut off as
the plants are known Zone 4 rebloomers & the consensus on the List was
that it was best to dispose of pods if I hoped for rebloom this year.
Didn't happen but I think that was weather-related more than it was
energy-diversion-related.) Now it seems that if I want iris seed pods I
merely have to go looking for 'em -- amazing.

Of course, I want something from you & any others on the List willing to
comment -- how/when/where do I sow these seeds? How to encourage
germination & any resulting seedlings? What conditions do they need "in
captivity"? I'm hoping Barb Mann will chime in here -- she's said she's
grown these from seed & currently has some mature plants in her Santa Fe
garden.

Dianna, let me know the quantity you'd like & I'll mail 'em off. And
please speak up, anyone else who is interested.

Marte in the mtns       Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado      Another glorious,
warm, sunny Fall day, "wasted" because of having to run errands & do
chores in the flatlands again -- aaargh!