Re: Milk Jug Plastic

ross@dsrt.com wrote:

> Marte:
>
> A word of caution: after a fairly short time of exposure to cold and
> sun the plastic from those milk jugs will become brittle. It will
> crack easily if disturbed. We cut out the bottoms of jugs and use them
> as little greenhouses for our spring plants in the garden. The jugs
> don't last long if they've been out for the winter.
>
> You can probably get through this winter, but I'm not sure how long
> they'll last after that.  So, please be careful! I'd be upset if I
> lost my plant tags!
>
> Ross

Exactly why I'm itching to get my hands on the "blades" from those
mini-blinds I mentioned! I hope these will last more than just one year,
tho in this climate & altitude I'm sure that only heavy-duty metal
stake-tags last very long at all. When I win a Publisher's Clearing
House drawing I plan to buy a bunch.

Back when I first got really interested in gardening, I didn't save or
place the tags that came with purchased plants because I thot they
looked "amateurish" sticking out of the dirt. More fool I -- now I know
that memory cannot be relied upon & it's the *experienced* gardeners
that tag everything they care about. I still have a lot of mystery
perennials out there... but my Irises are all marked now, even if the
tag only says something like "Grape Koolaid-smelling Purple self rcvd
from (whomever/whenever.)".

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado