SIGNA

>Kathy, please 'splain SIGNA to me -- I've been snooping around Iris-L
>for months now & still haven't decoded this anacronym. It would perhaps
>help you to know that I'm not a member of AIS or any other organized
>gardening group -- perhaps a few a few DISorganized groups.
>
>Nevertheless, SIGNA is something I would like to know about at this
>point.

Marte,

I am not an officer or anything for SIGNA, but here's the info, to the best
of my knowledge:
SIGNA is the Species Iris Group of North America, a section of AIS.
Membership secretary is Colin Rigby; 18341 Paulson St. SW; Rochester, WA
98579.  Single annual dues are $4.  You must be a member to participate in
the seed exchange.

This year will be the 31st Species Seed Exchange, chairpersons are Jan
Sacks/Marty Schafer; 337 Acton St.; Carlisle, MA 01741.  Donors send seed to
Marty and Jan...this year's deadline is November 10 (October 30 for overseas
donors).  (Late ripening seeds get a dispensation until Dec 30, but list
must be sent by previous deadline.)  The following are excerpts from the
1996 form:
        -All seeds from the family Iridaceae are welcome
        -Wild collected seed is extremely popular
        -Paper envelopes are preferred method for packaging...well-dried.
        -Mark each envelope clearly and legibly with the correct name...If
hand pollinated mark HP; if it is wild collected write "wild collected" and
give [from where]

In December, SIGNA members receive a list of available seed and an order
form.  There is a nominal charge per seed packet, funds going to support
SIGNA.  I may be wrong (see Anner Whitehead's post), but I thought there was
a preference for contributors.

I have grown a number of the IRID's in my sunspace.  I find it a great way
to experiment with these iris relatives.

I expect there is still time to join SIGNA and participate in the 1997 seed
exchange, but I can't speak for Colin.

Hope my info is accurate...someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

---------
Kathy Marble <cmarble@tiac.net>
Harvard, MA
zone 5