Re: HYB:Methods

I have been experimenting with germinating seedlings here on the central
coast. This year I divided my seeds approximately in half. Half I
immediatly put into pots with soil and kept watered (I didn't dry them
first) The other half I wrapped each cross in a piece of nylon stocking
tied with a twisty and labeled with a small piece of  venetian blind with a
number for the cross. The ones I started immed. are already germinated and
are ready to plant out. The other cross I put into a colander and kept wet
for 10 days alternating wet and dry and now I will put them into the
crisper in the fridge for a fake winter. Last year I did a similar
experiment dried 1/2 the seeds first before planting them in pots outside.
I have around 100 crosses so I have alot of material to work with. Last
year I ended up with approx 1000 seedlings which I planted out in February.
 My climate is very mild so the small tender seedlings have no winter
problems. Joe Ghio just plants his seeds in a seed bed right in the ground
after drying the seeds. He feels that it is useless going to all this
trouble if you don't gain a year. I do have some rebloom seedling blooming
from last years (96) crosses but who is to say they wouldn't have bloomed
without all the fuss I put into them.
Karin Hinsen
Central Coast of California
Mild summers, Mild, wet winters