RE: I missouriensis seeds

Marte wrote:
Of course, I want something from you & any others on the List willing to
comment -- how/when/where do I sow these seeds? How to encourage
germination & any resulting seedlings? What conditions do they need "in
captivity"? I'm hoping Barb Mann will chime in here -- she's said she's
grown these from seed & currently has some mature plants in her Santa Fe

Marte in the mtns       Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado      Another glorious,
warm, sunny Fall day, "wasted" because of having to run errands & do
chores in the flatlands again -- aaargh!

So here I am chiming in...  I'm afraid my seed planting for I. missouriensis
hasn't exactly been scientific.  I simply plant the seeds like I do for my
bearded iris crosses, that is, in the garden, about an inch deep and an inch
apart, after the ground has cooled off.  Usually I plant seeds in November.
But for the species, I've had better luck some years than others.  The year
after I planted a few seeds from the Ring Ranch in Valle Vidal, I had about
60% germination, which I figure is great.  But the many seeds from two
different sources I planted last year have produced zero seedlings so far,
though I'm keeping the locations marked in case it's taking them more than one
growing season to wake up.

I've usually tried the seeds from SIGNA (Species Iris Group of North America)
in pots in the house, with at least 50% germination.  I use Sharon's
double-dormancy trick on them, putting the pots in the refrigerator for a few
weeks, followed by a couple of weeks at room temp, and then back in the
refrigerator a second time.  After the second time, they usually start to
shoot up.  Hmmm.  Guess that means it's real likely the ones in the garden
could take more than one year.

By now I'm sure somebody has told you about SIGNA, so I'll just say, it's
worth joining, if only because of the seed exchange.  Of course, the danger is
that then you, too, will find yourself with lots of little exotic seedlings
that aren't really suited to your climate and visitors to your house will
start wondering why you're growing grass in your sun room in the winter.

Barb in Santa Fe