Re: Judging - one person, three votes

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Judging - one person, three votes
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 21:24:16 -0600 (MDT)

J. Griffin Crump wrote:

> Steve , you have also mentioned a very interesting idea
> that just might lend some support to Ian's thinking, i.e., the "People's
> Choice Award":
> Having a "People's Choice" vote at shows just might be very instructive
> for irisarians. The public, unaware of the criteria used quite
> legitimately by the judges, might give us some valuable information
> simply by informing us, through their choices (1st, 2d and 3d, perhaps?)
> of what they like, PARTICULARLY if it differs from the judges'
> selections. Fads, after all, usually begin with the aficionados, rather
> than with the "great unwashed". I will suggest that the public be given
> the opportunity to vote at our next C&P Iris Society show.

We have always made arrangements for the public to vote for "Favorite
Seedling" at our local Iris Show. The way we have done this is to place an
empty goblet in front of each seedling and provide three dishes with small
cut squares of blue, red, and white paper which individuals may drop into
the appropriate goblet to indicate their first, second, and third choice,
respectively. I would hesitate to recommend opening all entries in the show
to a public ballot merely on account of the complexity and tediousness that
would be involved in  tabulating the ballots. Besides, the public would be
aware how the judges placed the entries in the main part of the show, and
possibly be influenced one way or another thereby,  whereas the way
seedlings are judged at our show, the public is unaware of the judges'
opinions regarding them.

Incidentally, more often than not the public chooses as its "Favorite
Seedling" the same entry that the judges picked as "Best Seedling in the