Re: Judging

To all us irisers,

Read or not the below pastings but there have not been more posting on this
subject than there were on, for instance, irises planted in tires, irises
planted in bed frames, grasshoppers, crickets, red-white&blue irises and
other inane subjects.  We have tolerated with good humor a lesson on pick
axes without our interest being exhausted

Judging seems to be of great importance to a segment of our group.  There is
surely room for more than one glued together opinion.

I heard Dr. Arthur Kroll on daylilies this weekend and he was discussing
things we all were amazed to hear.  Subjects he said were taboo to the
society.  Thin-skinned he called us and he was right.  He said he had never
read an adverse comment in a dalily publication, therefore all were just
superb.  (One knows that is not true).  He said if he raised a hardiness or
total plant review item on his list he was subject to hail of defensive
e-mail.  Not necessary!  Our societies are not growing in membership, this is
a huge area not being raised here - just a thought.

A point missed and I think part of Ian's dissertation (not main but a part)
is that the average member, new member or more horticulturally inclined
member has little knowledge of this judging thing and is thereby closed from
meaningful participation.  An easily understood (if that is possible) system
would include more participants.  That is, should they wish to particpate.
 Some of us do not.

If I understand all of this correctly a show competition can be a crapshoot
and winner may as well buy a lottery ticket.  And, don't discount the public
if the public is us.

I do not think it a perquisite of an irisarian to "deepen" his
appreciation/knowledge via showing and judging.

I commune with my irises regularly, discuss them with my friends and own all
of the books.  Any function of a group that serves to exclude parts of the
group is detrimental to the group.   Ask more questions, Ian.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, N.Y. - zone 4 - retiring the the hard hat.

<< Subj:	 Re: Judging