Re: Judging

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Judging
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 23:43:45 -0600 (MDT)

ECPep@aol.com wrote:
> To all us irisers,
> Judging seems to be of great importance to a segment of our group.  There is
> surely room for more than one glued together opinion.

All of us wish judging could be more objective, for one thing....
> A point missed and I think part of Ian's dissertation (not main but a part)
> is that the average member, new member or more horticulturally inclined
> member has little knowledge of this judging thing and is thereby closed from
> meaningful participation.  An easily understood (if that is possible) system
> would include more participants.  That is, should they wish to particpate.
>  Some of us do not.

Buying and reading the Judges' Handbook would be a good start.

Our club, and, I would expect, all local societies have annual programs
on how to prepare stalks for a show and on what judges look for.

Choosing not to participate is fine, but, human nature being what it is,
don't be surprised if it is even harder to change the system from the
outside than it is from the inside.

> If I understand all of this correctly a show competition can be a crapshoot
> and winner may as well buy a lottery ticket.

I do not believe that that is a fair assessment. I have clerked or
judged around 10 shows (not many but I do one or the other every chance
I get) . A few times (out of >1000) I have seen two levels of
disagreement in the ranking of a stalk. Usually even then a consensus
was easily reached. For best of section or best of show rarely have more
than two stalks remained is serious consideration for long.

Different panels might have chosen the other one of the two, or had
slightly different pairs in the finals.

But a crapshoot?? Hardly.

> I do not think it a perquisite of an irisarian to "deepen" his
> appreciation/knowledge via showing and judging.

Our club has many valued members who do not participate in shows. They
will always be welcome.

> I commune with my irises regularly, discuss them with my friends and own all
> of the books.  Any function of a group that serves to exclude parts of the
> group is detrimental to the group.

I am sorry for being dense, but are you saying that because some
irisarians dislike shows we should not have shows?

Entry in shows is open to all. Becoming a judge is open to all AIS

The only exclusion that I see is from those choosing not to participate
despite being asked (begged?) to. Our club has at least three members
who would make much better judges than I will ever be. They have more
land to grow more irises, and better visual memories for varietal
differences. They have their own reasons for not joining the program
(but that doesn't keep me from proselytizing).

gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles
President of San Fernando Valley Iris Society