Re: OT: El Nino

El Nino brings drought to those of us on this side of the Pacific. It is
already having a significant inpact in South East Asia, indeed there are
thousands of people in Papua New Guinea facing famine already as they have
not had enough rain to grow sweet potato their staple food. Farmers here,
many of them still drought declared from the last El Nino, are getting rid
of stock as a pre-emptive measure. We are certainly hoping it is "all hype".

Simone Clark
Canberra Australia

At 02:55 PM 19/10/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:
>>
>> El Nino?  What El Nino?  Just tonight our weather forecaster said we
>> most likely wouldn't see any appreciable rain through November!  So much
>> for El Nino and the heavy rains.  In a normal season, our rains start in
>> mid-to-late October and now none possible through November--maybe all
>> this fuss over El Nino is over-reaction?
>
>>From what I am hearing from the wx prognosticators, any impact El Niqo
>is going to have on the rainfall is not likely to happen for 2-3 months.
>All the hype is mostly that. Some scientists have even said that the
>unusually warm water off the coast is more likely due to lower intensity
>NW winds this year - though whether or not El Niqo is a pertial cause of
>that is unknown. The reports say that the most significant weather
>impact that can be attributed to EN so far this year is fewer hurricanes
>in the Atlantic.
>
>John                     | "There be dragons here"
>                         |  Annotation used by ancient cartographers
>                         |  to indicate the edge of the known world.
>
>John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
>Fremont CA, USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
>Max high 95F/35C, Min Low 28F/-2C average 10 days each
>Heavy clay base for my raised beds.

Simone Clark
Nematode Project
CSIRO Entomology