Re: PEOPLE'S CHOICE

>Having a "People's Choice" vote at shows just might be very instructive
>for irisarians. The public, unaware of the criteria used quite
>legitimately by the judges, might give us some valuable information
>simply by informing us, through their choices (1st, 2d and 3d, perhaps?)
>of what they like, PARTICULARLY if it differs from the judges'
>selections.

We have had a PEOPLE'S CHOICE award in the Western New York show for many
years.  The reason is two-fold.... to make the show interactive rather than a
museum - and to see what the public likes.   Also... it helps to squash some
of those feelings of "why, those judges don't know what they're doing....
THAT THERE is the prettiest!"

Furthermore..... since our show is a two-day affair, we have two winners, one
for each day - and we put the first day's winner on the Queen's Table with a
PEOPLE'S CHOICE tag.

We also draw names from the ballots for a free iris - trying to get them a
piece of the ultimate winner.

We ALSO have a place on the ballot for name & address.... and we use this
information for advertising for our sale....

And we ALSO give each person a blank "wish list" with our sale information on
it... and suggest that they write down their favorites and bring it to the
sale in July.

Kathyguest... who notes that in Western New York, we leave no tern unstoned
E. Aurora, NY... 2 quite killing frosts, thank you very much