Re: OT: El Nino

Dear Editor:

I have been following the news reports on the projected impact of the El
Niqo. I really became curious when a recent article quoted some
"experts" as projecting the increased rainfall to be on the order of two
to three times seasonal norms. When I looked up the thirty year seasonal
average for the Bay Area I found a figure of about twenty inches for San
Francisco. If the Bay Area receives an additional twenty to forty inches
more than the seasonal average we should forget sandbags and start
building arks.

For what it is worth, other projections that I found on the internet
offered that we might get from two to three centimeters to six to eight
inches more than the thirty year seasonal average. One of those
projections offered that the Gulf Coast would be harder hit than the
Pacific Coast.

While there is a need to prepare people for this event, there is no need
to panic them. After all, two to three centimeters is a far cry from
twenty to forty inches. We have to get the stories straight or the
reporting straight.

Al Limberg
Concord, CA