Re: Planting iris in pots.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Planting iris in pots.
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <Koekkoek@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 13:32:27 -0600 (MDT)

Gayla in East Peoria, IL, sent a message Saturday regarding planting
iris in pots and keeping them indoors over winter.  I did this a
couple years ago, as I found some rhizomes in Walmart about this time
of year and knew they'd never make it if I planted outdoors in late
October.  Cheap, so I thought I'd experiment.   Both sprouted and
grew, one got rot (I guess I was too generous with water), and the
other thrived and went outdoors in the spring.  It didn't bloom, and
last year was no test since everything froze in April.  It has done
well, increased, and I hope next year I'll see it bloom.  I would not
hesitate to do this again if I got rhizomes late.  If it works in NW
Iowa, I see no reason why it wouldn't work in West Central Ill.

Arnold Koekkoek

Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
Sioux Center, IA 51250