Re: Judging

I'm ad libbing this since my girlfriend raided my email account to check
if she had any mail, and used the old mail program to do so.

Griff wrote:

> Having a "People's Choice" vote at shows just might be
very>instructive
> for irisarians. The public, unaware of the criteria used quite
> legitimately by the judges, might give us some valuable information
> simply by informing us, through their choices (1st, 2d and 3d,
> perhaps?)
> of what they like, PARTICULARLY if it differs from the judges'
> selections. Fads, after all, usually begin with the aficionados,
> rather
> than with the "great unwashed". I will suggest that the public be
> given
> the opportunity to vote at our next C&P Iris Society show. Thanks for
> contributing the idea, Steve, even if you may not agree with the
> outcome.

I didn't say that I disagreed with having a People's Choice Award, but I
do disagree that it should be used as a method of setting standards.
After all, the judges do pick a Best of Show, and I do not always agree
with the majority as to the best fish shown, but that is beside the
point, and I do agree more often than I disagree <g>.

Many of the people who come to a fish show are not aware of the
standards used, and I daresay that some of the exhibitors are not aware
(running for cover if there are any fish people out there who may
recognize themselves here and take umbrage).  A People's Choice can get
show attendees a greater feeling of joining the activity, and, perhaps,
a better shot at the club getting them to at least come to a meeting and
perhaps becoming a member of the club.  It will also, as someone else
pointed out, give them a chance to show the judges what they consider to
be a good fish.

I've also been on the talk circuit for several years and two fo my talks
concern shows.  One is Showing fish, where I walk people through
preparing for a show, and what to look for in fish they plan to show, as
well as preparing them for the show, and another that shows what judges
look for when judging a fish.  Perhaps some of the local iris societies
can do this for their members as well, by having a qualified person
cover those topics with regard to iris.  This will help promote an
understanding of the members on what to show and how it will be judged
when it is shown (and also make the life of the judges easier as they
may not have to run for cover quite so fast after the results are
announced <GG>.

While at this point I may not take my iris seriously, I do take fish
seriously, and, at every opportunity, promote good fishkeeping and
raising of good quality fish.  (Well, I hope I will raise good quality
iris, but that remains to be seen.)

\\Steve//
For aquariums, visit http://www.petsforum.com/was/
the Worcester Aquarium Society site.  Lots of links available.
For dogs, visit http://www.petsforum.com/ace/ to recieve
information about A.C.E. Agility Dog Club in Massachusetts.
Now in Virginia, Zone 6 or 7.