CULT: Plants in Pots

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: Plants in Pots
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 19:00:31 -0600 (MDT)

     Several years ago, well before the move to Florida, I ended up getting
a rhizome of FIRST IMPRESSION in late November.  Knowing that planting then
in Kentucky is almost certain to fail. I put the plant in a pot and sunk it
in the ground up against the foundation of the house on the southeast side.
 I chose this side to protect it from the often brutally cold and wet north
and northwest winds of winter.  Also, since this spot was under the eaves
of the house, it did not get as much moisture as it would have in the open,
and the additional heat from the wall allowed it to dry off faster when it
did get wet.  Since the soil was dryer, the plant was less prone to heave.
I did mulch it with a light layer of straw.
     The plant did survive the winter and even bloomed the following
spring.  The increase off the original rhizome is still growing in
Lexington, KY.  Also, I have overwintered late arriving Daylilies the same
way there.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, FL   Where I hope the ground does not freeze.