RE: Judging

Steve Szabo wrote:
> I am a judge.  I am a certified judge of fish.  The kind you keep in
> aquariums. . .  we do follow a set of guidelines to determine the quality of
> fish. . .

and Griff Crump answered:
Steve -- I think your analogy is an excellent one. The principles are
quite the same. However, you have also mentioned a very interesting idea
that just might lend some support to Ian's thinking, i.e., the "People's
Choice Award":

Santa Fe Iris Society always has a "People's Choice Award", both for the
horticultural division and the artistic division.  We always somehow end up
with too many trophies donated , so the more trophiable classes we can have,
the better.  And it's fascinating to see that the People's Choice is never the
one that wins Queen of Show (oh, I'm sorry, we don't do Queen of Show anymore;
we do Best Specimen of Show).  I think it's great!

Barb in Santa Fe