RE: Judging - one person, three votes

Jeff Walters wrote about the People's Choice award:

I would hesitate to recommend opening all entries in the show
to a public ballot merely on account of the complexity and tediousness that
would be involved in  tabulating the ballots. Besides, the public would be
aware how the judges placed the entries in the main part of the show, and
possibly be influenced one way or another thereby,  whereas the way
seedlings are judged at our show, the public is unaware of the judges'
opinions regarding them."

Jeff, it doesn't have to be that hard.  We give everybody who wants to vote at
our show (SFIS) a slip of paper, and when they have decided which one, they
drop it in a gaily decorated box labelled "People's Choice Award".  There has
never been any indication that knowledge of the judges' opinions has any
bearing whatsoever on what our visitors choose.  They are not looking for the
perfect specimen; they are looking for the prettiest, or the most striking.
Anyway, you might try opening up your show for public vote--I think the
results will surprise you greatly!

Barb in Santa Fe