The Elmohr Iris Society has had a People's Choice Award at our shows for
nearly 15 years. This Award does not reflect on the judging in any way. It
gives the general public, who many times were just shopping at the mall and
happened upon an iris show, a chance to inspect our iris. We encourage them
to fill out a ballot and have drawings every hour for a dozen iris from our
sale. They are always thrilled to win free irs, and also suprised when we
give them a gift certificate in the mail for a free iris from the sale. This
helps our sale by advertising directly to the people that have seen our
product. Our yearly sale averages around $8,000 so it must work.

I have found that the general public is suprized to see all the different
types of irs. They generally vote for bright yellows, blacks, and iris such
as Batik. If you realize the public is not judging the same way an AIS
judges, it has no effect on the outcome and just provides one more asspect to
a fun show.