re: OT., CULT: Hermodactylus tuberosus

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: re: OT., CULT: Hermodactylus tuberosus
  • From: JForte21@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 05:11:54 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Mark and Everyone,
I got hermodactylus tuberosus about three years ago from Park Seed.  I don't
remember how deep I planted it, probably just a few inches since it was
little tiny pieces.  It comes back very early every spring (so far) with a
little bit of increase.  I have it in half shade in pretty sandy soil, and it
gets some water from the lawn during the summer when it's dormant.  I like it
because it is so unusual looking.  Most of the flower is true green with dark
purple falls and it smells good if you get down on your hands and knees.  It
probably does not get any frost where I have it planted, or not much.  Seems
to me like it would do well in Florida, but I don't know if the humidity is
important or not.  It is very dry here in Central CA.  Good luck.

Mary Forte, Atascadero, CA Zone 8 or 9 (just a little too cold to grow citrus
or bougainvillea)