Re: rot prevention -Reply

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: rot prevention -Reply
  • From: Merrily A Smith <mesm@loc.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:29:33 -0600 (MDT)

Anner very kindly outlined a program of rot abeyance during freeze/thaw cycles.

Thanks very much, Anner.  I will try it out just as you outlined and see how it goes.  The like the idea of
insulating with Christmas tree boughs.  Now I have both a reason and an excuse to decorate a tree this year.

I was glad to see your reference to "the tops of the more exposed rhizomes" because there seems to be a
difference of opinion among seasoned growers.  At the C&P reblooming show this past Saturday (and very
nice it was, too), one person advised me to make sure that my rhizomes were covered by at least 1/4" of
soil.  Another sounded as though her rhizomes were always a little visible.  The one thing everybody agreed
on was that a good way to reset rhizomes heaved out by freezing is to step on them.  I really liked that
approach, since I had been doing it anyway.

Thanks again for your reply.

Merrily on Capitol Hill, DC