judging iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: judging iris
  • From: Merrily A Smith <mesm@loc.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:30:17 -0600 (MDT)

I have been following with interest the thread about iris judges and judging.  This past weekend I went to
the C&P iris society reblooming show in Beltsville.   Had heard about rebloomers, but never actually laid eyes
on one.  BEST BET hasn't rebloomed for me -- but from what I heard, it doesn't seem to bloom much for
anyone around here.  Anyhow, I listened in on some fascinating commentary about the things a judge looks
for when assessing a specimen.  I've already been saved tons of humiliation because now I know that
flower stalks can't have finger prints on them, a spent flower has to be broken off deep in the socket so the
seed pod comes with it, and a perfectly beautiful flower exhibit can achieve stardom or ignominy, depending
on whether the exhibitor stuffs enough insulation around it to keep it supported 6-7" above the bottom of
the display vase.  Learning at this level sucks up so much energy that I haven't been able to form even an
uninformed opinion about the nuances of judging being discussed.    But I do truly love to see the flowers at
the shows and to be surrounded by their color and scent.  Try to be patient; I'll grow up some day.

Merrily on Capitol Hill, DC