Re: CULT: Picks and Stomps

Henryanner@aol.com wrote:
 I pointed at the ones I wanted and she got
> the point of the pick up under an edge and wrested off chunk, lifted it aloft
> by its bloomstalk and shook the dirt off to peer at the rhizome.

So now the truth can be told.  I got my first iris, I.flavescens, from
an old farmhouse garden that had been neglected for years.  the rzs were
well above the ground.  I had no tools so I fearlessly stuck my fingers
under the rz and pulled hard getting up a nice chunk.  I planted it,
probably incorrectly since I knew nothing about irises, and it's turned
out to be the very best iris I own.  Performs magnificently every single
year and needs to be divided almost every year because it gives off so
many increases.  I've mollycoddled everything else and don't get results
as good.  sometimes the less you know the better off you are.
Rima  terra@catskill.net
upstate ny   zone 4   where it as gotten very cold with some snow
flurries.