Re: Re: Judging

stevesz@erols.com has written a very interesting e-mail about judging fish
and how similiar some of the points are.  This 'JI judging' has been an
educational topic compared to many we've had this fall.  I have just spent 2
days of 7 hour lectures learning new changes National Council of State
Federated Garden Club (I've been doing this since 1965 and owe a great deal
of my gardening knowledge to these teachers specializing in many types of
plants; Holly, Apples, Iris, bulbs, annuals, perennials..) . Luckily I had a
scientific approach and wanted to learn more and would try to grow things in
Michigan that might not be hardy but I learned and not all at one time.  My
judging experiences (as Kathy Marble pointed out) have really broadened my
knowledge and opened doors that I probably wouldn't have known about.
 Steve's point of having to detach yourself from your likes and dislikes is
very important.  Learned a lot about apples from  WA teacher and MI is a good
fruit growing state and we live in the area.
Anna Mae Miller, Kalamazoo, MI zone 5 where our frosts were about a month
late and still not complete killing.  Our fall color is beautiful!