Re: OT: Northern weather

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Northern weather
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 12:22:37 -0600 (MDT)

Here in central Virginia, we had our first frost last night.  It was a
pretty stiff one and carried off the remains of the vegetable garden.  We
had just harvested the last of the peppers and eggplant, and much of a big
bed of various basil varieties, for pesto.  Another frost is expected
tonight.  Luckily I had already taken cuttings of all the coleus, impatiens
and lantana I wanted to save.  We cut the leaves on the caladiums and put
them in big vases to take inside.

Surprisingly most of the leaves in our area are still green, with some
signs of autumn color here and there in the hickories and dogwoods.
Japonica camellias are blooming as well as I have ever seen them; this is
about a month early.

I never did get my Louisiana bed remade.  All the hard work was done, but I
guessed wrong in selecting Lone Star Gardens to supply the rhizomes. I sent
them four dollars for a catalog in early September (late, I know) and never
heard from them again.  I got their telephone number from an iris-l member
and tried several times to call but there was never any answer.  By the
time I finally admitted they were not going to respond, it was too late to
get plants from another source.  Well, something for next year!

There is one small, short stalk on IMMORTALITY (rhizome planted this fall)
which seems not to have been damaged by the frost.  I hope it makes it!

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943